Friday, October 31, 2014

Tell Me a Story - October 2014 - A Walk Through My Neighborhood and Beyond

 
It's suppose to start raining tomorrow, and it's suppose to rain a lot.  Before the rainy season starts, I thought I'd take you on my walking journey.  Now we live out in the country and on dirt roads.  Nothing too exciting, but there are a few things I'd like to share with you all.
 
This was my path today.  3.24 Miles.  I usually walk this much faster, but I was taking my time, taking photos and pretty much lollygagging around.  Too bad not all the streets are named on my map.
 
I started off at my house of course.  What a beautiful day it was.  I knew that soon it would start raining and rain for days at a time so I knew I had better take advantage of such nice weather!
 
 Some sort of berries that come out in the fall. I wouldn't eat them though!
 
 Road signs.  We had to fight the county to get these signs put up. Our roads up here aren't county maintained.  They are sometimes a mess, but due to a few dedicated volunteers, we try to make it work!
 
 A sign of Fall!  Wooly Bear Caterpillars.  They are EVERYWHERE and I had to watch my step.  A lot of them are squished by cars.  These use to be a predictor to how harsh or mild winter would be by the amount of black these had in them!
 
 Another sure sign of Fall.  Pumpkins!
 
 This is an old barn of some sort out behind some houses.
 
 I love Cat Tails! Wish I had gotten closer to them.  There was a steep embankment with barbed wire on the fence.
 
 Another Wooly Bear Caterpillar.  He was waving his head around as if trying to tell me something!
 
 Some sort of dried thistle!
 
I hate political signs and advertising.  In my opinion, it's trashy looking!
 
 Moooooooooooooo!
 
 I love this old mailbox on my trail.  It just adds a little character to my walk.
 
 Leaves are turning!
 
 House for Sale!  Their are a lot of houses for sale in and around Coos Bay.  The economy here isn't the best.
 
 Another sign of fall is all the apples laying on the roadside.  I wish I had the guts to go pick them before they fell off the trees.  Seems like such a waste to me!
 
 There are a lot of old tractors along my walk.  I love them!
 
 This old dog usually never barks but his 3 companions sure do!  Today he barked at me and I was quite surprised.  Maybe he was telling me to look at his Halloween decorations?
 
 Lots of horses here as well.  I called and whistled for him to come see me.
 
 And he did!
 
 Sweetpea flowers are holding on to their claim of summer!
 
 Another hanger on to summer.
 
 I scared the Blue Heron away. He's very shy.  Not a great photo but these birds amaze me with their wing span.  He was hanging out with a Great White Egret as well but I would be embarrassed to post him here.  I really need a long lens for these birds!
 
 There are also cormorants in the slough along my walk on Red Dike Road.  I love how they sit there and spread their wings like it's a hot day and they need some air under themselves!
 
I usually walk up this road, Ashley St. on my way home because it breaks up the huge hill from Red Dike Road up to the house.  The road to my house is on the left.
 
 We go blackberry picking in August beyond this gate.  The road is being overtaken by the blackberry bushes.  No trespassing?  Oh well!
 
 These big leaf maples are on our property.  They are humongous and beautiful!
 
This is pretty much the end of my walk.  The house is to the right, up the hill a ways.  This is where our leach field is and our little dog Maddie is buried.
 
 
 
Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.   ~Henry David Thoreau



Don't forget to check out my fellow blogger 
Mindy Sauvageau, Fargo
http://orangemoonphotography.com/2014/10/31/fargo-everyday-storytelling-tell-story-october-2014

3 comments:

  1. Love the photo of the old barn! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an interesting walk you talk. I would love to live in the countryside. Great wooley caterpillars. They are pretty cool looking. I also love the 2nd last photo of the trees. I started looking at it upside down for a while there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Wooly Bear pictures it brings back so many memories of childhood!

    ReplyDelete