Saturday, January 31, 2015

Tell Me a Story January 2015
A trip to Winston Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon
 
What a fun wonderful few days with my husband, brother and sister in law!  We decided to go to Roseburg for a couple of nights and visit the waterfalls on the Umpqua River and the Winston Wildlife Safari.  I've been to the Wildlife Safari several times, but my brother and sis in law haven't.  I see something every time we go that we hadn't seen before and I always, always enjoy the animals, so that is what I decided to write my blog on this month.
 

Not my photo but a photo of the drive thru map at the Safari.  It's quite a drive and very beautiful with or without the animals!
 
 There are usually western pond turtles in this pond, but I didn't see any this time.  I did notice the reflection of the clouds in the pond and thought it beautiful!
 
Another view from the drive.
 
Our first animal was the ostrich.  Such powerful birds!
 
With UGLY feet!
 
The majestic Lion.  He would NOT look our way, almost aloof!
 
I've never thought turkeys were pretty but he had such gorgeous colors. I think it is an Ocellated Turkey
 
Watusi Cattle and Elund
 
The Southern White Rhinos were all the way up the hill facing away from us.  HOW rude!
 
 Kingfisher above the pond.
 
 Hippos laying and sleeping in the mud.  These are usually always in the water when we go here, so it was fun to see them.
 
 Some sort of Oryx?
 
 Male and Female Mallards on the pond while it was raining.
 
Another Horned Animal
 
 African Elephant with a Pretty eye!
 
This is a new water feature and it was this girl's first time in it (I can't remember her name).  The trainers were trying to bribe her with cantaloupe.  She wouldn't go in the water all the way, but did several tricks that I couldn't get photos of.
 
While we were viewing the elephant and her trainer, this Emu tried to come thru the window.  He was making funny noises and then opened his mouth wide!
 
It's feathers were beautiful!
 
A Greater Rhea laying in the grass perhaps on it's nest.  Males incubate the eggs and rearing of the chicks.
 
Giraffe with his tongue sticking out
 
 American Bison
 
 Roosevelt Elk has lost his antlers for the season.

Barbary Sheep
 
 I can't even stand on one leg while awake let alone asleep like this Egyptian Goose!
 
More turkeys
 
 Winston Wildlife Safari has the most successful breeding program in the US,
 
Partly due to Lovers' Lane.  This is the breeding area that is excluded from all public eye.
 
 Wanna head to lovers' lane big boy?
 
No? Sigh
 
This was interesting. It was a picked over carcass in the cheetah's enclosure.
 
Next came the regal tiger! And that was the end of the drive-thru safari part!
 
Once again not my photo. It's a map of the Wildlife Village, which is a walk thru little zoo.  Tons of fun too!
 
The Wildlife Safari also has 1 cheetah in the walk thru village so you can see him up close.
 
Cute little Cotton-top Tamarin
 
 These little guys had the cutest faces!  They are Geoffroy's Marmosets
 
 Ringtail Lemurs
 
Wallaroo
 
 There were two mountain lions in the enclosure and they were growling!  I'm glad I wasn't in there with them. I think they wanted to eat us!
 
 Bobcat
 
The Maned Wolf has often been describes as a "red fox on stilts".
 
There were many many more animals, but I've gone over the 15 allowed photos here.  I'm sorry it's so long, but I just could not decide on 15. Hope you enjoy my little "safari" at Winston Wildlife Safari.
 
 
 
If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.
~James Herriot



Please complete the circle and visit my fellow blogger @
Stacey Markel Photography | Maryland Family & Child Photographer


 

4 comments:

  1. Renee this is such a fun post. Oh it makes me miss home and all the wildlife that we had at our fingertips. My favorite image of this trip is the Emu, What a mouth. Love it. Did you know that the Hippo is one of the deadliest animals in Africa. Yet I remember watching a video, and it seems like there are a couple out there with different animals, but this one was about a young Buck in a tangle with a Crocodile, and the Hippo rushes to it's rescue, manages to get it free from the Crocodile, and nudges up onto the bank and tries to resuscitate it by putting it mouth over the head of the Buck. It does that twice but sadly the Buck ends up dying and the Croc ends up winning because it eventually comes up on land and pulls the buck into the water again. It does seem like the Hippo has the ability to intimidate the Croc. Great post, made me a little nostalgic for home and the camping trips we did back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharleen! I thought of you as I was putting together this blog and SA where some of these animals live! Thanks for your kind comments!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Looks like you had an amazing little trip! I'm so jealous!! I thought I loved the photo at the beginning of the lake but as I kept reading I couldn't pick just one as my favorite! The one of the elephant's eye is beautiful as well. The bobcat at the end I loved as well! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words of praise Emily! It does my heart good to hear such nice things said!

      Delete